Dear Diary

Monday, February 14, 2005

My first kick in the gut reaction

Friday night I went to Gail's margarita party. Gail apparently shared with the office everything that's going on with me. So, I show up at her party unaware that everyone there knows I'm gay, which was a little disconcerting in the first place and then Barbara, who I had been quite good friends with, is obviously having serious issues about it all. She's probably the most conservative person I know - more so even than Sheila - so I would have expected there to be some issues with her. What I didn't expect was the acid tongue and coldness. She wouldn't sit or stand near me, wouldn't touch me, only spoke to me to say how depraved she thought it all was. This is a woman I ate lunch with everyday for 3 years, bought girl scout cookies from each other, chatted and laughed and commisserated with. It was like getting kicked in the gut. I guess I need to get a thicker skin about it as I'm sure it won't be the last time something like that happens, in fact, as my gf pointed out, I've been real lucky it hasn't happened sooner and more often. I stayed for the whole party even though she continued with the nasty comments and I just ignored them. Everyone else was being so nice and after awhile they ignored her comments too. I maybe should have left the party, but I wanted to see my friends and spend some time with them. Should I have left because one person was being bitchy to me? I don't know. Overall I had a nice time.

3 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2005 at 9:51 AM, Blogger Ami_Norml said…

    Tami...you had every right to enjoy the party. Maybe you should have outed yourself to your friends instead of the way it happened; but we can't plan everything!
    There are going to be a lot of people that feel as if you have a disease and if they touch you...they'll get it too. You're gonna have to become more like a duck; I guess. Ya know how water slides right off a duck's back...rude comments will slide off your back too...if you let them.

     
  • At February 15, 2005 at 7:52 PM, Blogger Older Guy said…

    You just showed your class by staying and letting this "lady" dig her hole. You were right in staying - if anyone had left, it should have been her; however, get used to those reactions. There are some who would pass laws against being gay. Love you. Dad

     
  • At February 16, 2005 at 12:41 PM, Blogger Older Guy said…

    P.S. Remember that she could talk to your ASS because your head ached.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home